Hypersomnia, which is described as either excessive daytime sleepiness or excessive time spent sleeping, is a disorder in which a person struggles to stay awake throughout the day. Hypersomnia can fall asleep at any time, even when driving or working. They may also struggle with other sleep-related problems including poor energy and trouble thinking clearly. According to studies, up to 40% of people occasionally have symptoms associated with hypersomnia.
Hypersomnia is more common in women than in men. It is estimated that 5% of the population will be affected. It is frequently discovered in adolescents or young adults. If you experience other sleep issues, you can rely on the most popular mattresses store in Bahrain, such as American Beds. They can assist you in lessening the severity of your issues.
Causes and Symptoms
The majority of cases of hypersomnia still lack a known cause. Researchers have examined the probable roles that neurotransmitters such as hypocretin/orexin, dopamine, histamine, serotonin, and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) play in the brain and cerebrospinal fluid (GABA). Up to 39% of people with idiopathic hypersomnia have a family history, thus there may be a hereditary component. Additionally, scientists are investigating if certain genes may have a different impact on circadian rhythm in people with idiopathic hypersomnia.
- Prolonged sleepiness that happens frequently throughout the day.
- Sleeping longer than usual (10 hours or more), but yet feeling lethargic and finding it hard to stay awake during the day.
- Difficulty waking up in the morning (“sleep drunkenness”) or following a nap during the day, as well as recurrent confusion or hostility.
- Taking naps during the day is of no benefit. They don’t replenish or refresh.
- Anxious and angry
- Lower energy
- Memory problems, slurred speech, trouble focusing, and slow thinking
- Loss of appetite
- Sleeping longer than usual (10 hours or more), but still feeling quite sleepy during the day and finding it difficult to stay up.
- Having trouble waking up in the morning (“sleep drunkenness”) or after a nap during the day, and occasionally being confused or hostile.
- There is no benefit to taking a nap throughout the day. They do not recharge or replenish.
- Angry and anxious.
- Reduced energy
- Slow thinking, slurred speech, trouble concentrating, and memory issues.
- Appetite loss.
Your symptoms and medical history will be reviewed by a doctor to establish whether you have hypersomnia. The level of alertness can be assessed physically.
A variety of tests are performed by doctors to detect hypersomnia, including:
You record your sleeping patterns in a sleep journal. Throughout the night, you keep a diary of your waking and sleeping hours.
The scale of Epworth sleepiness:
The Epworth Sleepiness Scale can be used to determine your level of sleepiness.
Multiple sleep latency tests:
These tests are used to monitor your daytime nap under supervision. During the examination, your varied sleep patterns are measured.
In order to get a polysomnogram, you spend the night at a sleep center. A device keeps track of breathing patterns, eye movements, brain activity, heart rate, blood oxygen levels, and eye movements.
There are numerous therapies available to treat hypersomnia, depending on the underlying cause. Numerous narcolepsy drugs also treat hypersomnia. These include amphetamine, methylphenidate, and modafinil. As stimulants, these drugs make you feel more awake. Sleep products from American Beds is the best choice for those who wish to have good sleep hygiene as it is the leading mattress and bed shop in Bahrain.
Changing one’s lifestyle is an important part of treatment. A doctor could advise adopting a regular sleeping schedule. Additionally, refraining from doing certain things, especially right before night, helps alleviate discomfort. The majority of hypersomnia shouldn’t drink or use drugs. A doctor might also advise a high-nutrition diet to naturally maintain energy levels.
Get a relaxed sleep with American Beds: The best mattress store in Bahrain
American Beds is the most sought-after mattress shop in Bahrain. The company has a long history of being known for consistently investing in the best and most advanced mattress technology. We put a lot of effort into providing our loyal customers with an exceptional sleeping experience that is unrivaled in terms of comfort and durability. Visit one of our locations and make the decision that will surely improve your sleeping habits.